Summer not only means great weather, rest and relaxation, and al fresco fun, but it also means exciting swill-centric events as well. Kicking off the summer portion of the Spring and Summer Sipping Series is Negroni Week 2018.
During the first week of June, bars and restaurants mix classic Negronis and Negroni variations for charitable works. Venues choose a philanthropic organization to sponsor and officially register as a Negroni Week Location at negroniweek.com. During the celebration week, a portion of proceeds from the beloved cocktail sales are added to the venue’s overall charitable donation. To see where you can drink for a great cause near you, visit the official charity partners link.
Negroni Week launched in 2013 as a celebration of one of the world’s great cocktail – the Negroni. Composed of equal parts of Campari (the iconic Italian aperitivo) gin, and sweet vermouth, this star sipper’s popularity has grown exponentially. For the 6th consecutive year, the philanthropic movement, Negroni Week, aims to raise money for charities around the world. From 2013 to 2017, the movement grew from 100 participating venues to 7,770 venues worldwide which have raised nearly $1.5 million for charitable causes combined.
This is a huge deal for the hospitality and bartender industry, and major brands. Campari has partnered with the USBG National Charity Foundation (USBG Foundation) to introduce the first Campari Community Service Day, on June 5th. In more than 20 U.S. cities, bartenders, and Campari employees will join forces in community service acts in their respective cites. Further, Imbibe Magazine has been a grand supporter of Negroni Week awareness, venues, and as a partner in the collective effort to support selected charities.
The Negroni spirit is infectious! If you’d like to stir some at home, check out the delicious recipes below.
- BARTENDER: Daniel Warrilow
- 1oz Campari
- 1oz Bulldog Gin
- .5oz Amontillado Sherry
- .5oz Strawberry Syrup
- 4 dashes Tumeric Bitters
- Stir and strain over a two-inch cube in a rocks glass. Garnish with a lemon twist.
- BARTENDER: Felicia Chin-Braxton
- .75oz Campari
- .75oz Cinzano 1757
- 1.5oz Pineapple-infused Appleton Reserve*
- 1 750 ml Appleton Reserve
- 1 pineapple
- Place 1 peeled and chopped pineapple in Appleton Reserve liquid, and let sit for 3 days before using in cocktail.
- .25oz Wray and Nephew
- 3 dashes Scrappy’s Lime Bitters
- Stir ingredients and strain over crushed ice in rocks glass. Garnish with 3 picked pineapple fronds and an edible orchid.
Thai Basil Sbagliato
- BARTENDER: Stacy Swenson
- 1 oz Campari
- 1 oz Cinzano Dry Vermouth
- .5 oz Pok Pok Thai Basil Drinking Vinegar
- 1 oz Watermelon Juice
- Generous pinch of fennel salt
- Cinzano Prosecco
- Build ingredients over ice in stemless wine glass, top with Prosecco. Garnish with a Thai Basil leaf.