Makes one serving
– Mozzarella cheese
– Flatbread or pita bread for serving
– 2 cilantro leaves (garnish)
– 1.5 pounds of boneless chicken breast
– 4 tablespoons of dry oregano
– Half a teaspoon of salt
– Half a teaspoon of pepper
– 2 cloves of garlic (grounded)
– 1.5 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
– Half cup of vinegar
– 5 sprigs of fresh basil
– 2 sprigs of fresh parsley
– 3 cloves of garlic
– 4 ounces of grated parmesan
– 2.5 ounces of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, salt, pepper, garlic, extra virgin olive oil, and vinegar.
- Continue to toss until the chicken is well coated.
- Fully coat each chicken breast with dry oregano so that the dry rub does not loosen during frying.
- Heat a medium sauté pan on medium high until it is warm enough to fry the chicken.
- When the pan is fully heated, add chicken breast.
- Fry the chicken, continually turning the breasts until each side is a golden brown.
- In a food processor, add the basil leaves, parsley, garlic cloves, parmesan cheese, and extra virgin olive oil.
- Repeatedly pulse the food processor until the pesto is fully blended and is of a thickened sauce consistency. If a food processor is not available, finely chop and mix the ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.
- Heat a small sauté pan with a non-stick spray to toast the pita.
- Slice the chicken lengthwise in half-inch strips.
- Slice some mozzarella cheese, two slices per pita is sufficient.
- Place slices of mozzarella on the pita and dress with the homemade pesto sauce.
- Add chicken strips.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro as desired.
Recipe provided by Brandon Marrero